Environmental & Sustainability Initiative
At The Bentall Centre we take sustainability very seriously, in particular the impact that our decision making process has on the environment. We make every effort to minimise the physical effects we may have on our surroundings and local community. We are sharing these views with our customers, stake holders and local community, so that we may all understand the importance of sustainability issues.
At Aviva Investors we believe that responsible investment requires a detailed understanding of sustainability issues. As a major international real estate asset manager, we are working with our partners and advisors to fully play our part in ensuring the real estate industry plays a leading role in addressing the world's sustainability challenges. At Aviva Investors real estate we believe that through a major commitment to sustainability and its complexities we will continue to deliver our clients investment objectives.
How do we manage Water, Gas and Electricity?
- All of our incoming utility supplies are metered. All meters are physically read each week in order to spot and rectify any anomalies in consumption.
- We have an energy management strategy, in which we are constantly looking at new ways to conserve energy, keeping a close eye on advances in technology.
- Lighting and heating are constantly monitored and maintained at their optimum requirement, therefore, if it’s not needed, it's not on.
- We provide free entertainment for children throughout each of the school holidays with opportunities for them to take park in craft workshops, learning about science subjects and practising circus skills, to name but a few.
- We provide additional entertainment opportunities for adults and children alike, such as Darth Vader and his Storm Trooper Garrison from Star Wars.
- We work closely with local charities, providing promotional and collection opportunities for their organisations. Since the Centre opened in 1992 we have worked with Milly’s Fund, Momentum, Guide Dogs for the Blind, and the RNLI, among many others, helping them to launch new funds and initiatives and improve their collections.
- In 2010 we funded a range of celebrity designed umbrellas, the proceeds of which went to Princess Alice Hospice. Prior to this we also worked with Princess Alice Hospice in 2009, when we held an exhibition of celebrity dresses, titled Fit for a Princess, these dresses were later auctioned and raised £16,000 for the charity.
- We actively participate in and support many of the Town Centre events and initiatives, providing funding for events such as May Merrie, Christmas Light Switch on and Park and Ride at Christmas.
- The Centre Director, Operations Manager and Marketing Manager regularly attend and play a leading roles in various Town Centre committees.
- We provide support to local community projects, giving time to assist smaller community charities and groups with promotion and marketing help.
- The Centre has provided assistance to the wider Kingston community to the value of more than £100,000.
What are our future plans?
- Further work on the selection of low energy lighting.
- Recycling of all plastics.
- Further develop our green travel plan.
- Researching the logistics of rain water harvesting.
To find out more, please download our Environmental & Sustainability Initiative here
Please consider the environment before printing this information